What’s the Most Common Reason Physicians Get Sued?
December 24, 2019
Which Specialties Are Sued the Most? Find Out with Medscape’s Annual Look at Medical Liability Trends!
Medscape has released its yearly report, chock full of metrics pertaining to lawsuits against physicians. The data is based on responses to a survey of more than 4,300 physicians representing 29 medical specialties in the United States. The doctors shared whether and why they were sued.
Some of the key findings include:
- A whopping 59% of physicians surveyed have been named in at least one medical liability lawsuit in their career.
- Specialists are sued more often than primary care physicians, the top category being surgeons (general and specialized).
- Failure to diagnose, or a delayed diagnosis, was the reason cited by one-third of the physicians who had been sued.
- Only a small percentage of lawsuits that went to trial were decided against the physician.
- Illinois is #3 in the top 10 states for medical liability lawsuits.
Read the 2019 Medscape Report.